For our latest installment of Inside the Green Room, we’ll let the artist do most of the talking, but prepare yourself for a whole lot of awesome. Meegan Barnes, an amazing illustrator who is no stranger to the fashion world, has shown us her greatness in the form of falling models, awesome style, and the utmost creativity. Read on for a little more on our new favorite artist.
1) Let’s start off with the basics: Age, Hometown, 3 words that describe you!
Age: Stopped counting after 21
Hometown: Los Angeles
3 words: unconventional, eclectic, impulsive.
2) Tell us, how did your love for illustrating begin?
I always knew I wanted to draw for living. That or be a weatherman.
I guess it began in childhood when I drew a pic of Donna Somer performing my favorite song song Hot Stuff. I’d never seen her or the band but I just felt compelled to draw them.
3) Who or what inspires you the most in your creative process?
The music I listen to, the stories I read, the stories I want to tell, fashion, art, my friends and family, the people I meet…
4) Which of your illustrations are you MOST proud of? Why?
My Hot Stuff illustration. It was the most pure in it’s motivation and inspiration. As much as it illustrated Donna Somer, it illustrates a young girl and her passion for art and music.
5) We are OBSESSED with your “Models Falling” series. How did that idea come about?
Thanks! I came across a photo of a model falling and was fascinated with this ‘idealistically perfect body’ in a less than ideal position. While drawing it, i couldn’t help but think what was going through the model’s mind and decided to incorporate that thought into the drawing. I soon discovered there were more photos of models falling and a series came about. Def have plans to do more.
6) Would you ever go back into working in the fashion business? Do you miss it?
I miss the fun bits, the traveling, the comradery of working with a team, and wearing something I created. I would love to do collaborations occasionally but don’t need all fashion all the time.
7) Do you listen to music while you work? Anything currently on repeat?
I have to have music when I work. I pretty much have to have music all the time. Listening to Iron and Wine as I write this. I make spotify soundtracks for each season. Fall 13 faves include: Neko Case, Laura Mvula, Diane Birch, Empress Of, Glasser, Lou Doillon and Haim.
That’s just work music. Don’t get me started on road trip, poolside or party mixes.
8) In an alternate universe, what would you be doing besides illustration? (It can be anything!)
I’d be a singer, songwriter and a dancer! I wish it didn’t have to be in an alternate universe.
9) Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Last time I answered this question I didn’t get the job.
10) What can we expect from you in 2014? Any big projects in the works?
Yes! I’m doing some fun illustrations for Cargo Cosmetics. I’m about to start illustrating a children’s book written by two good friends. And more Model’s Falling.
Time for favorites!
TV Show: Project Runway
Musician: Marvin Gaye, Stevie Nicks, Elton John
Book: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
City: NYC in Spring, San Francisco in Fall, LA the rest of the time.
Fall essential: Coated denim biker jacket
Thanks Meegan! Until next time.